Six Items to Consider When Choosing a Custom Home Builder
Hiring a custom home builder to create your dream home can be incredibly rewarding and exciting. But if this is the first time you have taken on such a project, knowing how to find a suitable builder can be confusing.
You may be surprised to learn that you don’t need to hire a huge corporation that spends six figures on marketing. The right custom home builder does however need to have sufficient time, experience, financial resources and expertise to build your new home. They should specialize in custom homes and their service should be tailored to meet your needs.
It is best to hire your designer and home builder at the same time so that that your builder can help oversee the project from the very beginning. Oftentimes you will find that custom home builders and designers have good relationships with each other – so if you have a builder in mind, they can recommend a designer, and vice versa.
When reviewing potential candidates to build your custom home, here six items that you should review:
• A portfolio of current projects – take a look at the homes that the builder has done for other clients. Do you like them? Would you be happy with something similar? Do they give you any ideas for your own custom home?
• Track record of projects – has the builder you are considering constructed homes of similar size and detail to the kind of home that you would like to have?
• Communication skills – It is important to work with a custom home builder who knows how to communicate so you can be kept apprised of the progress at each step. The builder will have to work closely with the designer, sub-contractors and your municipality, so good communication skills are critical.
• Organization skills – again, building a custom home is a big undertaking with many moving parts. Being able to handle the logistics of the project is important.
• Time management – this is related to organizational skills. While some delays (such as those due to weather) may be unavoidable, your builder should do everything in their power to ensure that your project is completed within the projected timeline.
• Client references – references are one of the best ways to determine if you are likely to be satisfied with your custom home builder. A reputable builder should be more than happy to provide you with references and there are plenty of sources to find online reviews as well.
At Superior Construction, we understand what is necessary to provide our clients with their dream homes and we have the skills to deliver. Call us to learn more at 905-805-8883.